CFD for Data Center

Forum for DesignBuilder CFD users to exchange views and ask each other questions

Moderator: DesignBuilder Support

vinay.devanathan@gmail.co

CFD for Data Center

Postby vinay.devanathan@gmail.co » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Hello,

Has anyone tried to simulate a data center setting with Designbuilder CFD module? Or is it posssible to model a Data Center using Designbuilder CFD?

Hope to hear from someone.
Steve Potter

Postby Steve Potter » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:46 am

Hello,

It is not really practical to model server centres until we have incorporated a fan model within DB CFD which will model air movement from one location to another without introducing mass into the space. We are currently working on this feature and hope to make it available early next year. I have attached a screenshot of a hot/cold aisle server model which has been simulated using a prototype version of the fan component.

Regards,

Steve
Attachments
server_centre1.jpg
Hot/cold aisle server centre model
server_centre1.jpg (130.11 KiB) Viewed 129059 times
nielex

Postby nielex » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:15 am

Hi Steve,

now some time has passed...is it now possible to model server centres?
Have you successfully implemented this feature?

I want to analyze some different cooling applications. For example:

(-) CRAC Cooling System - Direct Expansion.
(-) CRAH Cooling System - Chilled Water Based
(-) CRAC/CRAH Cooling Systems with Containment
(-) Free Cooling System (air-Side economizer)

and so on....

In your example...how have you implemented the hvac?
Have you set the internal IT-load for the whole room or it is possible
to set the internal Load for the different racks?

It would be great if I get a feedback.

Tanks Alex
Steve Potter

Postby Steve Potter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:35 am

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately we had to postpone the development of the fan component for version 3 due to other pressing development priorities but we have now incorporated this feature in version 4 which we are planning to release early next year.

The screenshot is from a model of a conventional hot/cold aisle system whereby mechanically cooled air is supplied via floor diffusers to the 'cold aisles' and the rack fans transport the cooled air across the racks to the 'hot aisles'. The racks themselves can be modelled using assemblies (collections of component blocks) where each of the constituent rack assembly components can be assigned different loads in the form of thermal fluxes. The rack assemblies also incorporate fan components.

Hopefully we should be able to announce expected release dates for version 4 very early in the new year.

Regards,

Steve
ianmoksh

CRAC modelling in DB

Postby ianmoksh » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:55 pm

Now it's 2015 and I was wondering if you guys have done anything for modeling data center in DB. More specifically, have you added the feature which enables us to control the air movement from one location to another?

Can you please give me more information?
Steve Potter

Postby Steve Potter » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:16 am

Hi,

Yes, the CFD fan component is now available in version 4.

Regards,

Steve
sgi

Postby sgi » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:20 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to post the configuration set on the fan object in the example shown above and the way you've constructed one of your server rack ?

The way I modeled it is by creating a 600x1000x2000h block with a void through it and I have placed the CFD fan component on the front of my IT rack.

Thanks in advance,

Simon
Steve Potter

Postby Steve Potter » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:41 am

Hi Simon,

Each server rack is constructed using two side plate component blocks and a top and bottom plate. Each server is modelled separately using a front, back and bottom plate component block with a CFD fan located midway between the front and back plates. The front and back server plates have the mass flag switched off to allow air to move freely through them and the back plate has a thermal boundary flux set to represent the heat generated by the server.

Steve
Attachments
Server.png
Server arrangement
Server.png (24.57 KiB) Viewed 81077 times
ServerRacks.png
Server rack arrangement
ServerRacks.png (22.93 KiB) Viewed 81077 times
sgi

Postby sgi » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:31 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your answer, it helped a lot. I'm now having a trouble with a server Rack in wich the air flow goes backward but I'll investigate.

Simon

Return to “CFD”